Saturday, October 11, 2008

Five vitamins and minerals that help maintain healthy teeth and gums.

1. Vitamin A: Beef, eggs, liver, salmon, shrimp, fortified milk, cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese.

2. Vitamin C: Bell peppers, broccoli, potatoes, spinach and fruits and fruit juices (especially citrus). Studies have revealed that people who consume less of Vitamin C tend to be 25% more likely to suffer from gum disease.

3. Vitamin D: Fortified cereals, fortified milk, fatty fish (helps absorb Calcium).

4. Calcium: Cheese, fortified juices, milk, tofu, salmon, sardines with bones, yogurt, and leafy green vegetables (including broccoli and kale, but not spinach or Swiss chard, which have binders that lessen absorption). 99% of the calcium in your body is your bones and your teeth. Dietary calcium is needed to make sure they’re in good shape.

5. Phosphorus: Almonds, broccoli, eggs, dairy products, green peas, fish, liver, meat, milk, potatoes, and poultry.

If you don’t eat fresh fruits and vegetables, take vitamins to supplement your diet.
If you have, or will soon have dental or periodontal surgery, it is especially important to include Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin E.

Keep smiling.

Saundra Goodman
Got Teeth? A Survivor’s Guide
How to keep your teeth or live without them.

http://www.gotteethguide.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information!!!! My teeth are in TERRIBLE shape and I'm doing everything I can to try to get them fixed. I've gone w/o dental work for so long that it's going to be very expensive, but I'm going to try. I only have one set of teeth (and I've already had several extractions), so I'm going to give it my best shot. I will definitely put your advice to use!!